tctuvan

Free download thesis
ABSTRACT
Studying Studying a language is not an easy process. On the way to the success we cannot avoid the difficulties and obstacles. When English learners try to combine English words together they will be confused by the thing that which adverb can combine with one certain verb, or they do not know how to combine vocabulary in correct grammatical and lexical collocation. I myself encounter the problem. And the thing is that if you want to use an English word naturally you should learn other words that often go with it (English Vocabulary in Use - Stuart Redman). Thus, I want to study this issue and desire to Giúp other English learners to develop their English competence. However, sometimes people can not distinguish the collocation and the idiom because they are both the combination of words. So, one more article is that we should recognise the meaning of an idiom and meaning of one collocation.
This paper focuses on the following issues:
- the definition of collocation and other combination of words like phrases and idioms
- study of verb collocation
- common confusion with verb collocations to Vietnamese learners
- the reason why people are confused by the Verb collocations
- the suggestion to avoid confusion of Verb - Adverb collocations
We hope that this thesis paper can Giúp teachers and students find it easier in teaching and studying English. It helps to provide English learners:
- a source of collocations
- a chance to have better collocation knowledge therefore leading to improved speaking and writing capacity
- confidence and fluency in using English

TABLE OF CONTENT
Page
i. Acknowledgement i
ii. Abstract ii
iii. Table of content iii
Chapter I. Introduction
I.1. Rationale of the study 1
I.2. Aim of the study 2
I.3. Scope of the study 3
I.4. Design of the study 3
Chapter II. Literature Review
II.1. What is semantics? 4
II.1.1 Definition of semantics 4
II.1.2 Role of semantic in language learning 4
II.2 What is collocation? 5
II.2.1 Definition of collocations 5
II.2.2 Types of collocation 6
II.2.3 Verb collocations 7
II.3 Verb collocation in distinguish with other word combination like idiom and phrasal verb. 8
II.3.1 What is idiom? 8
II.3.2 What is phrasal verb? 9
II.3.3 The difference between idiom, phrasal verb and verb collocation 9
Chapter III. Method and procedures
III.1 Survey 10
III.2 Discussion with instructor and friends 15
III.3 Experience from personal background knowledge 15
III.4 References from books and internet 15
Chapter VI. Expected findings and Discussion
VI.1 Common confusion of verb collocation 18
IV.1.2 Wrong combination 18
IV.1.2 Confusion of collocations with idioms 18
IV.1.3 Difficulty with Verb – Adverb collocations 19
VI.2. Reasons leading to collocation confusion 19
IV.2.1.Native language interference 19
IV.2.2. Lack of collocation competence 19
IV.2.3. Frequency of Verb – Adverb collocation appearance in written materials 21
VI.3 Suggestions to avoid common confusion of some Verb–Adverb collocations 21
Chapter V. Conclusion
V.1. Summary 48
V.2. Limitation of the study 48
V.3. Suggestion for further study 49
Appendix
Reference

CHAPTER I. INTRODUCTION
I. 1 Rationale of the study
Foreign language is a very necessary means of communication helping people all over the world can exchange the information and understand the cultures, then promoting the global commerce. Today, one of the most popular languages is English. The thing is English is spoken as the mother tongue and the official language in many nations such as England, America, Australia, Canada, Singapore, India…In addition, it is taught as second language in a lot of countries around the world including Vietnam. The number of English learners in Vietnam is remarkably increasing up to now. The fact is that every of them desire to use English as fluently and proficiently as their first language. However, language always is a complex aspect of education. Therefore, learning and teaching a foreign language will face a lot of obstacles. English learners will meet many difficulties on their way of studying. Many people will find it difficult to pronounce, to listen or to comprehend an utterance...Others will be confused by the sense of a word, by the similarity in pronunciation and spelling of several words, etc.
Basing on the experiences of students, teachers and personal knowledge, we found that almost learners find confused when using English vocabularies. Firstly, they cannot combine and organize words together to make sense or they combine wrongly this adjective to that noun, or this verb to that noun… For example, the word “blond” and “beige”, both of them denote the colour. However, English people do not say the “blond car” but they say “blond hair” and vice versa. Moreover, two words may be close in meaning but yet not collocate with the same items. For instance, “do” and “make” are the same in meaning but native speakers say “do homework” and “make a cake”. So it easily makes English learners fail when they combine words together. They do not know which word can correctly combine together with other word.
Secondly, to the higher English level people, they do not know in word combinations, which is a collocation – non-idiomatic phrase and which is an idiomatic phrase. For instance, in the two word combinations “half seas over” and “down to the sea”, which is a collocation and which is an idiom? That is the problem raised in using collocations and word combination in lexical relatives. The problems can be explained and investigated in semantic field.
Moreover, the main characteristics of lexical collocations are that their meanings mostly reflect the meaning of their lexical constituents and that the sequences of lexical items frequently co-occur, even though most native speakers of English are not aware of collocations.
To sum up, language are full of strong collocational pairs, therefore collocation deserve to be a central of the vocabulary study (Lexical Relation in vocabulary – Oxford Press).
I.2. Aim of study
Learning English is getting more and more popular. Improvement of English in our country is very essential to everyone, especially to English academic students. They really need guidance Giúp them to avoid mistake in using English vocabulary and this thesis will play a part in supporting them.
This research will Giúp readers comprehend the verb collocation in English. It also helps to find out common mistakes in combining words together. It also proposes the reasons why people get confused with the collocation especially verb collocation. Moreover, it will give out some suggestions to avoid common confusion in using verb collocations especially the Verb – Adverb collocations.
I.3. Scope of the study
The using collocation is very different from language to language. And there are many kinds of collocation. In this case, we only study the verb collocation in English and the common verb collocation confusions which are met by Vietnamese who are studying English as a foreign language. And we mainly discuss the Verb – Adverb collocation.
The confusion met in English collocation issue is too much to cover. This thesis only focuses on the verbs which are common used in intermediate – level English learners. And then, thesis concludes a range of Verb – Adverb collocations.
I.4. Design of the study
Chapter I: Introduction
Chapter II: Literature Review
Chapter III: Method and procedures
Chapter IV: Expected findings and Discussion
Chapter V: Conclusion
Link Download bản DOC
Do Drive thay đổi chính sách, nên một số link cũ yêu cầu duyệt download. các bạn chỉ cần làm theo hướng dẫn.
Password giải nén nếu cần: ket-noi.com | Bấm trực tiếp vào Link để tải:

Các chủ đề có liên quan khác