daigai

MÃ ĐỀ 114 - Trang 1/6

SỞ GIÁO DỤC VÀ ĐÀO TẠO TỈNH ĐỒNG NAI ĐỀ THI THỬ ĐẠI HỌC, CAO ĐẲNG NĂM 2014
TRƯỜNG THPT CHUYÊN LƯƠNG THẾ VINH Môn thi: ANH VĂN Khối A1-D
Đề có 6 trang Thời gian làm bài: 90 phút.
Họ, tên thí sinh:……………………………………………
Số báo danh:……………………………………………….
ĐỀ THI GỒM 80 CÂU (TỪ 1 ĐẾN 80)
I. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the
following questions.
Câu 1: “How about joining me on a skiing trip this weekend?’
“Well, I really can’t take a holiday until I ---------- my thesis.”
A. will have finished B. am finished C. finished D. have finished
Câu 2: Whenever the ---------- opens his mouth, everyone turns a deaf ear for they know that he is going to boast
about his achievements again.
A. braggart B. shirker C. glutton D. hypocrite
Câu 3: The bill was passed by common ----------.
A. accent B. assent C. ascend D. ascent
Câu 4: The orang-utan ---------- an ape but is smaller in size.
A. relates B. Familiarizes C. recognizes D. resembles
Câu 5: ‘Magavau’ is the harvest festival that the Kadazans in Sarawak hold in -------- of the Padi Spirit.
A. homage B. preference C. respect D. honor
Câu 6: Scientists have announced a major ---------- in their search for a vaccine against the most deadly strain of
pandemic flu.
A. upsurge B. outlay C. breakout D. breakthrough
Câu 7: Certain fish eggs contain droplets of oil, ---------- to float on the surface of the water.
A. allowing them B. this allows them C. allows them D. they are allowed
Câu 8: Nobody is ------- from any of the tests; you must pass in all the papers to qualify for a certificate.
A. excluded B. exempt C. released D. omitted
Câu 9: Your drawing doesn’t even ---------- resemble a horse.
A. remotely B. hardly C. distantly D. little
Câu 10: Some civilians were caught in the ---------- between two opposing camps.
A. outburst B. crossfire C. tailgate D. stronghold
Câu 11: ---------- through a prism, a beam of white light breaks into all the colors of the rainbow.
A. When shone B. It is shone C. It shines D. When shines
Câu 12: Mr Peters finds his secretary ----------. He doesn’t know how he would be able to manage without her.
A. indispensable B. Reliable C. necessary D. essential
Câu 13: The actress is trying to ---------- her lines in the play.
A. reminisce B. compose C. reiterate D. memorize
Câu 14: We will ---------- by the decision of the council, whatever it may be.
A. agree B. abide C. allow D. obey
Câu 15: The crane ---------- the heavy containers onto the ship.
A. hoisted B. lugged C. hauled D. tugged
Câu 16: “Is there a problem with the letter?”
“The person ---------- this letter is addressed no longer lives here.”
A. to whom B. who C. to who D. whom
Câu 17: ---------- is caused by a virus was not known until 1911.
A. That measles B. Measles C. What if measles D. As measles
Câu 18: Fiona loves reading ---------- novels in her leisure time to Giúp her unwind from her hectic life.
A. escapist B. escaping C. escapable D. escapism
Câu 19: He had to be heavily ---------- because of the serious injuries he received.
A. medicated B. bedded C. nursed D. sedated
Câu 20: Situated high up on the hill, the tower and its imposing turrets ---------- the village.
A. domineers B. domineer C. domineering D. domineered
Câu 21: You are a highly creative person; there is great ---------- for you in the fields of writing or advertising.
A. scope B. range C. facet D. prospects
Câu 22: Though the baby is only two months old, it is tiring to carry him for too long for he weighs ------
A. as heavy as lead B. as slippery as an eel C. as big as an elephant D. as strong as an ox
MÃ ĐỀ 114 MÃ ĐỀ 114 - Trang 2/6

Câu 23: He makes a living out of ---------- jingles for advertisements.
A. designing B. writing C. composing D. relating
Câu 24: Robert finally admitted ---------- the money.
A. have taken B. to having taken C. to take D. to have taken
Câu 25: It is baffling how such a genius like Mathew could fall for a ---------- like Jessica who is attractive but
unintelligent.
A. commoner B. brute C. fiend D. bimbo
II. Mark the letter A,B,C, or D that best combines the two sentences
Câu 26: The station was full of thieves. He warned me to keep an eye on my luggage.
A. He warned me to keep an eye on my luggage as the station was full of thieves.
B. When the station was full of thieves, he warned me to keep an eye on my luggage.
C. Only when the station was full of thieves, did he warn me to keep an eye on my luggage.
D. The reason why he warned me to keep an eye on my luggage was because the station was full of thieves.
Câu 27: I didn’t know that you were at home. I didn’t visit you.
A. If I knew that you had been at home, I would have visited you.
B. If I had known that you were at home, I would have visited you.
C. If I would know that you were at home, I visited you.
D. If I knew that you were at home, I would visit you.
Câu 28: He has a box. He plans to put his savings in it.
A. He has a box putting his savings in.
B. He has a box to put his savings in.
C. He has a box to put his savings in it.
D. He has a box planning to put his savings in.
Câu 29: He heard the news. He left immediately.
A. As soon as he had heard the news, he left immediately.
B. As soon as he left immediately, he heard the news.
C. He left immediately as soon as he heard the news.
D. As having heard the news, he left immediately.
Câu 30: We had spent nearly all our money. So we couldn’t afford to stay in a hotel
A. Having spent nearly all our money, we couldn’t afford to stay in a hotel.
B. After having spent nearly our all money, we couldn’t afford to stay in a hotel.
C. Spent nearly all our money, we couldn’t afford to stay in a hotel.
D. Having spent nearly all our money, so we couldn’t afford to stay in a hotel.
III. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the
correct answer to each of the questions.
Animals have an intuitive awareness of quantities. They know without analysis the difference between a number of
objects and a smaller number. In his book The Natural History of Selbourne (1786), the naturalist Gilbert White
tells how he surreptitiously removed one egg a day from a plover’s nest, and how the mother laid another egg
each day to make up for the missing one. He noted that other species of birds ignore the absence of a single egg but
abandon their nests if more than one egg has been removed. It has also been noted by naturalists that a certain type
of wasp always provides five – never four, never six – caterpillars for each of their eggs so that their young have
something to eat when the eggs hatch. Research has also shown that both mice and pigeons can be taught to
distinguish between odd and even numbers of food pieces.
These and similar accounts have led some people to infer that creatures other than humans can actually count.
They also point to dogs that have been taught to respond to numerical questions with the correct number of barks,
or to horses that seem to solve arithmetic problems by stomping their hooves the proper number of times.
Animals respond to quantities only when they are connected to survival as a species – as in the case of the eggs –
or survival as individuals – as in the case of food. There is no transfer to other situations or from concrete reality to
the abstract notion of numbers. Animals can “count” only when the objects are present and only when the numbers
involved are small – not more than seven or eight. In lab experiments, animals trained to “count” one kind of
object were unable to count any other type. The objects, not the numbers, are what interest them. Animals’
admittedly remarkable achievements simply do not amount to evidence of counting, nor do they reveal more than
innate instincts, refined by the genes of successive generations, or the results of clever, careful conditioning by
trainers.
MÃ ĐỀ 114 - Trang 3/6

Câu 31: What is the main idea of this passage?
A. Animals cannot “count” more than one kind of object.
B. Of all animals, dogs and horses can count best.
C. Careful training is required to teach animals to perform tricks involving numbers.
D. Although animals may be aware of quantities, they cannot actually count.
Câu 32: Why does the author refer to Gilbert White’s book in line 2?
A. To show how attitudes have changed since 1786.
B. To contradict the idea that animals can count.
C. To indicate that more research is needed in this field.
D. To provide evidence that some birds are aware of quantities.
Câu 33: The word “surreptitiously” in bold is closest in meaning to
A. stubbornly B. secretly C. quickly D. occasionally
Câu 34: The word “abandon” in bold is closest in meaning to
A. vacate B. guard C. rebuild D. move
Câu 35: The word “odd” in bold refers to which of the following?
A. unusual numbers B. numbers such as 1,3,5, and so on
C. lucky numbers D. numbers such as 2,4,6, and so on
Câu 36: The author mentions that all of the following are aware of quantities in some way EXCEPT
A. caterpillars B. mice C. plovers D. wasps
Câu 37: The word “accounts” is closest in meaning to
A. deceptions B. reports C. invoices D. reasons
Câu 38: According to information in the passage, which of the following is LEAST likely to occur as a result of
animals’ intuitive awareness of quantities?
A. A pigeon is more attracted by a box containing two pieces of food than by a box containing one piece.
B. A lion follows one antelope instead of the herd of antelopes because it is easier to hunt a single prey.
C. When asked by its trainer how old it is, a monkey holds up five fingers.
D. When one of its four kittens crawls away, a mother cat misses it and searches for the missing kitten
Câu 39: How would the author probably characterize the people who are mentioned in the 2nd
paragraph?
A. As mistaken
B. As demanding
C. As clever
D. As foolish
Câu 40: The word “they” in bold refers to
A. genes B. animals C. achievements D. numbers
IV. Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to show the underlined part that needs correction
in each of the following questions.

Câu 41: The [A] price of crude oil used to be a great deal [C] lower than now,[D] wasn't it?
Câu 42: We [A] had planned to go to the movies [C ] but because of the amount of work I had I spent the
evening [D] to study .
Câu 43: An able [A] flier, a crow, may travel thirty or forty miles[C] the day before it [D] returns home.
Câu 44: Because of [A] differences between the crops grown and a greater abundance of rivers, farmers
in the South need [C] little rain than[D] their counterparts in the North.
Câu 45: Mrs. Anderson bought [A] last week a new sports car; however, she [C] has yet to learn [D]
how to operate the manual gearshift.
V. Mark the letter A,B,C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning
to each of the following questions.
Câu 46: The alarm went off just as they came out of the building.
A. Scarcely they had come out of the building when the alarm went off.
B. Scarcely had they come out of the building when the alarm went off.
C. Scarcely they had come out of the building when did the alarm go off.
D. Scarcely had the alarm gone off when they came out of the building.
MÃ ĐỀ 114 - Trang 4/6

Câu 47: Teams of experts are examining the damage to the building.
A. The damage to the buliding is being examined by teams of experts.
B. The damage is being examined to the building by teams of experts
C. The damage is being examined by teams of experts to the building.
D. The damage to the buliding is examined by teams of experts.
Câu 48: “I didn’t cause the accident. It wasn’t me,” he said
A. He refused to cause the accident.
B. He denied having caused the accident.
C. He apologised for having caused the accident.
D. He accused me of causing the accident.
Câu 49: It’s too late to try and phone them now.
A. It’s late that it’s no use trying to phone them now.
B. It’s so late that there is no point in trying to phone them now.
C. It’s so late that there is not worth trying to phone them now.
D. It’s late enough to try and phone them now.
Câu 50: We were sorry that we did not get our examination results until after the end of term.
A. If only our examination results didn’t come through the end of term.
B. We wish our examination results had come through the end of term.
C. If only our examination results came through the end of term.
D. We wish our examination results hadn’t come through the end of term.
VI. Mark the letter A,B,C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word or phrase that is closest in
meaning to the underlined part in each of the following questions.
Câu 51: Since none of the polls had predicted the winner, everyone was surprised by the results of the
election.
A. encouraged B. astounded C. delighted D. perturbed
Câu 52: Aristotle believed that a thrown ball traveled in a straight line, until the force impelling it was
exhausted.
A. diverted B. debilitated C. used up D. tired out
Câu 53: In the 1980 census, New Jersey was the most densely populated state.
A. searingly B. rigorously C. heavily D. wantonly
Câu 54: Rote learning is now considered to be of dubious worth.
A. salient B. dual C. spurious D. questionable
Câu 55: Attending a church, temple, or mosque is one way to make agreeable friends.
A. numerous B. congenial C. elderly D. enduring
VII. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the
correct answer to each of the questions.

Lighthouses are towers with strong lights that Giúp mariners plot their position, inform them that land is near,
and warn them of dangerous rocks and reefs. They are placed at prominent points on the coast and on islands,
reefs, and sandbars.
Every lighthouse has a distinctive pattern of light known as its characteristic. There are five basic
characteristics: fixed, flashing, occulting, group flashing, and group occulting. A fixed signal is a steady beam.
A flashing signal has periods of darkness longer than periods of light, while an occulting signal’s periods of light
are longer. A group-flashing light gives off two or more flashes at regular intervals, and a group-occulting signal
consists of a fixed light with two or more periods of darkness at regular intervals. Some lighthouses use lights of
different colors as well, and today, most lighthouses are also equipped with radio beacons. The three types of
apparatus used to produce the signals are the catoptric, in which metal is used to reflect the light; the dioptric, in
which glass is used; and the catadioptric, in which both glass and metal are used.
In the daytime, lighthouses can usually be identified by their structure alone. The most typical structure is
a tower tapering at the top, but some, such as the Bastion Lighthouse on the Saint Lawrence River, are shaped MÃ ĐỀ 114 - Trang 5/6

like pyramids, and others, such as the Race Rock Light, look like wooden houses sitting on high platforms. Still
others, such as the American Shoal Lighthouse off the Florida Coast, are skeletal towers of steel. Where
lighthouses might be confused in daylight, they can be distinguished by day-marker patterns –designs of checks
and stripes painted in vivid colors on lighthouse walls.
In the past, the job of lighthouse keeper was lonely and difficult, if somewhat romantic. Lighthouse keepers
put in hours of tedious work maintaining the lights. Today, lighthouses are almost entirely automated with humans
supplying only occasional maintenance. Because of improvements in navigational technology, the importance of
lighthouses has diminished. There are only about 340 functioning lighthouses in existence in the United States
today, compared to about 1,500 in 1900, and there are only about 1,400 functioning lighthouses outside the United
States. Some decommissioned lighthouses have been preserved as historical monuments.
Câu 56: Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage as one of the functions of lighthouses?
A. To notify sailors that bad weather is approaching
B. To indicate that land is near
C. To warn of danger from rocks and reefs
D. To Giúp sailors determine their location.
Câu 57: The word their refers to
A. lighthouses’ B. lights’ C. dangers’ D. mariners’
Câu 58: The word prominent is closest in meaning to
A. dangerous B. famous C. conspicuous D. picturesque
Câu 59: In the context of this passage, the author uses the term characteristic to refer to a
A. person who operates a lighthouse B. period of darkness
C. distinctive light signal D. pattern painted on a lighthouse
Câu 60: According to the passage, what kind of signal has long periods of light that are regularly broken by
two or more periods of darkness?
A. Group flashing B. Group occulting C. Flashing D. Occulting
Câu 61: According to the passage, a catoptric apparatus is one that uses
A. lights of various colors B. metal
C. glass D. a radio beacon
Câu 62: For which of the following does the author NOT provide a specific example in the third paragraph?
A. A lighthouse shaped like a pyramid
B. A lighthouse that resembles a house on a platform
C. A lighthouse made of steel
D. A lighthouse with day-marker patterns
Câu 63: The word tapering is closest in meaning to which of the following?
A. Opening B. Rotating C. Soaring D. Narrowing
Câu 64: It can be concluded from the passage that lighthouses with day-marker patterns would most likely be
found in areas where
A. there are not many lighthouses
B. the structures themselves cannot be easily seen by passing mariners
C. there are a number of lighthouses with similar structures
D. the weather is frequently bad
Câu 66: The author implies that, compared to those of the past, contemporary lighthouses
A. are more romantic B. employ more powerful lights
C. are more difficult to operate D. requires less maintenance
VIII. Read the text below and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on you answer sheet to indicate the correct
word for each of the blanks.
Come rain or come shine
The hapless citizen had only one concern: the state of the weather. Why were we constantly under
(66) ……..from gales and storms, he wanted to know? Could it possibly be (67) ………. to the impiety of the MÃ ĐỀ 114 - Trang 6/6

nation? The questions were of such pressing concern that the poor amateur meteorologist (68)
…………….them carefully on a lead tablet – and then deposited it in a Roman oracle 2,400 years ago, (69)
…………..unaware that his concerns might be mirrored thousands of years later. The answers, unfortunately,
are not (70) ………… The questions posed , however, are intriguing – for they suggest that humans have
always thought that the weather is odd, and that we tend to blame its quirks on our own behaviour.
Câu 66: A. risk B. danger C. threat D. peril
Câu 67: A. owed B. resulting C. according D. due
Câu 68: A. slashed B. sliced C. carved D. chopped
Câu 69: A. joyfully B. gladly C. delightedly D. blissfully
Câu 70: A. entered B. registered C. recorded D. minuted

IX. Read the text below and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on you answer sheet to indicate the correct
word for each of the blanks
Bleak new world
A recent Ministry of Defence document paints a picture of (71) ……………...reality for the future. In an
intriguing passage, it says Britain will probably become a net importer of gas over the next decade, and by 2020
could be importing as much as 90% of its needs. It also says that global warming will (72)
…………………….extensive flooding of coastal areas, which could prove disastrous. Fresh water, meanwhile,
will become increasingly (73)…………. . It also (74)………….that if present consumption patterns continue,
by 2025, two-thirds of the world’s population will (75)……………...living in ‘water-stressed’ conditions.
Flooding, combined with the shortage of fresh water, is likely to make matters worse.
Câu 71: A. cruel B. ruthless C. grim D. severe
Câu 72: A. put forward B. finish off C. turn out D. bring about
Câu 73: A. singular B. occasional C. scarce D. infrequent
Câu 74: A. notifies B. alerts C. informs D. warns
Câu 75: A. set down B. come round C. break out D. end up

X. Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word that differs from the rest in
the position of the main stress in each of the following questions.
Câu 76: A. distinctive B. acquaintance C. temperature D. photography
Câu 77: A. capture B. poacher C. gazelle D. climax
Câu 78: A. possibility B. fluctuation C. historical D. variation
Câu 79: A. artificial B. politician C. genetics D. controversial
Câu 80: A. familiarity B. deforestation C. agricultural D. accommodation

-----------------THE END-----------------
:read:

Các chủ đề có liên quan khác