tranhientram

Chia sẻ miễn phí cho các bạn tài liệu: RECOMMENDATIONS TO IMPROVE SPEAKING SKILLS FOR THE FOURTH YEAR STUDENTS OF ENGLISH
DECLARATION

Title: Recommendations to improve speaking skills in English for the 4th students of English.
(Graduation Paper submitted in Partial Fulfillment for B.A Degree in English).
I certify that no part of the above report has been copied or reproduced by me from any other person's work without acknowledgement and that report is originally written by me under the strict guidance of my supervisor.

Ha Noi, April 26th ,2013

Student
signature

Phạm Ngọc Phương Supervisor
signature

Nguyễn Thanh Bình,M.A

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

At this stage of research accomplishment, I would like here by to extend my profound gratitude to my supervisor Mrs. Nguyen Thanh Binh M.A from whom I have received enormous kindness and guidance.

Also, I am very grateful to all the teachers at the English Faculty of Hanoi Open University for their interesting and useful lectures which have built in me a firm foundation with immense ideas for the fulfillment of this paper.

In particular, my special thanks go to my parents who have, as it always goes, encouraged and supported me so much in all respects.

Last but not least, I should also express many thanks to my dear friends who have shared with me a lot during my studies and my research work as well.

Hanoi, April 26th ,2013

Phạm Ngọc Phương

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Recommendations to improve speaking skills for the fourth-year students at Faculty of English (FOE), Hanoi Open University (HOU).

PART A: INTRODUCTION 1
1 Rationale 1
2 Aims of the study 1
3 Scope of the study 2
4 Research questions 2
5 Methods of the study 2
6 Design of the study 3
PART B: DEVELOPMENT 4
CHAPTER I: LITERATURE REVIEW 4
1.1 Definitions of speaking 4
1.2 Speaking English as a skill 5
1.3 Importance of speaking 5
1.3.1 The role of speaking inside and outside class 6
1.3.2 The relationship between speaking and other skills. 6
1.4 Types of speaking skills 7
1.4.1 Interactive 8
1.4.2 Partially interactive 8
1.4.3 Non-interactive 8
1.5 Process of speaking 8
1.5.1 Breathing stage 9
1.5.2 Phonation stage 9
1.5.3 Resonation stage 9
1.5.4 Articulation stage 10
1.6 Factors affect the process of speaking 10
1.6.1 Grammar accuracy 11
1.6.2 Fluency 11
1.6.3 Pronunciation 12
1.6.4 Vocabulary 12
1.7 Summary 13
CHAPTER II: PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED BY THE FOURTH-YEAR STUDENTS OF ENGLISH IN LEARNING SPEAKING SKILLS 14
2.1 Data collection 14
2.1.1 Survey questionnaires 14
2.1.2 Class observation 14
2.1.3 Subject and setting 15
2.2 Data analysis 15
2.3 The problems and limitations of the fourth-year students in Speaking English 21
2.3.1 The lack of vocabulary 21
2.3.2 The confusion of pronouncing and using grammar 21
2.3.3 The lack of self-confidence 22
2.3.4 The lack of background knowledge and culture 22
2.4 Summary 23
CHAPTER III: SUGGESTIONS TO IMPROVE SPEAKING SKILLS 24
3.1 Background knowledge 24
3.2 Developing English style 24
3.2.1 Good eye contact 24
3.2.2 Positive face-saving strategies 25
3.2.3 Good personal appearance 26
3.3 Improving self-confidence 26
3.3.1 Joining the English - speaking clubs 27
3.3.2 Speaking to native people 27
3.3.3 Well preparing for the topic 28
3.4 Group work 28
3.4.1Working in pairs 28
3.4.2Working in groups 29
3.5 Warm-up activities in speaking 31
3.5.1 Sharing news 31
3.5.3 Telling stories 32
3.5.4 Playing games 32
3.5.5 Word games 33
3.7 Individual work 34
3.7.1 Improving grammar 34
3.7.2 Improving pronunciation 35
3.7.3 Vocabulary enlargement 35
3.7.4 Improving speaking through reading 36
3.7.5 Improving speaking through listening 36
3.8 Self-consciousness of improving the speaking skills 37
3.9 Improving speaking skills through Internet 37
3.10 Summary of the chapter 39
PART C: CONCLUSION 41
REFERENCES 42
APPENDIX

PART A: INTRODUCTION
1. Rationale
Language is the tool of communication, while speaking is the most important part of language communication and it is the basic path to understand others. Listening is the activity of paying attention to and trying to get meaning from something we hear. To speak successfully to spoken language, we need to be able to work out what speakers mean when they use particular words in particular ways on particular occasions and not simply to understand the words themselves. Many students of English in Vietnam in general and ones at Faculty of English, HOU in particular do badly in this field, they find it difficult to get good marks in English speaking comprehension, especially in understanding the implied meaning of conversation.
The teacher often speak of the four skills – listening, speaking, reading and writing. That means each of them is important. Together with the three of which speaking is used more regularly and plays a very important role in daily life as well as in the study. In every activity, speaking is used as the major means of communication. However, to master English speaking skills, students have to face a lot of difficulties in practicing the skills. For example, the lack of vocabulary, grammar, fluency, and the lack of self-confidence. And even some of them have difficulty in understanding their teacher who gives lessons in English.
In reality, many students at HOU, some the fourth-year students can speak English very well whereas other students can not because they haven’t enough vocabulary, the ability to tell the grammar construction.
Therefore, to improve this situation and develop speaking skills for the fourth-year students at HOU, I have done the present study and I hope that my study will be useful for all students who want to enhance speaking skills.
2. Aims of the study
The purpose of this study is to improve the speaking skills for the fourth year student at Faculty of English - Hanoi Open University. As a result, the main aims of this thesis are:
- Giving a brief overview of the previous materials relating to speaking skills.
- Raising some problems encountered by the fourth-year students English when practice speaking.
- Proposing recommendations for developing the skills.
3. Scope of the study
Due to time limitation and the length of the paper, I would like to focus on speaking skills, the common errors and make a few suggestions to solve problem on speaking skills. This is why I have chosen recommendations to improve speaking skills fourth-year students of English at Hanoi Open University as the subject for the graduation paper.
4. Research questions
These objective could be summarized into some research questions as follows:
• What is the speaking?
• What are the problems of the fourth-year students in speaking English?
• What have the fourth-year students done to improve speaking skills in English?
5. Methods of the study
At the study involves in finding out problems faced by the fourth-year students of English and to aid them develop speaking skills, the data collection mainly focuses on:
 Survey questionnaire.
 Classroom observations.
Then the data will be synthesized and analyzed to Giúp find out students’ problems and the tips for improving their weakness.

6. Design of the study
The graduation paper is divided into three parts and three chapters.
 Part A: Introduction
This part includes rational, aims, scope, research questions, methods and design of the study.
 Part B: Development
This part contains three main parts:
 Chapter I : Literature review
 Chapter II : Problems encountered by the fourth-year students of English in speaking English.
 Chapter III : Suggestions to improve English speaking skills for the fourth-year students.
 Part C: Conclusion
This final part is to summarize or restate main points of the graduation paper.

PART B: DEVELOPMENT
CHAPTER I: LITERATURE REVIEW

Speaking play a very important role daily life and communication to others. People speak to each other " to exchange ideas and to make others see what they mean ". In learning English, speaking is not only one important skill but also used most regularly inside and outside class in order to learn, chat or convey ideas to others. Thus, speaking is worth learning and practicing in a routine. But what is speaking? The part below will provide various definitions about speaking.

1.1 Definitions of speaking
The most common features of speaking have been shown in this simple definition: the articulating sounds conveying thoughts, opinions. All of these are used by speakers in every communication, which creates understanding between speakers and listeners.
According to Merrian, the author of the book "Webster online dictionary" (2002):
"Speaking is uttering words or articulating sounds with the ordinary voice. Speaking is the way to convey thoughts, opinions, and emotion orally or to express oneself".
In other words, we genuinely hope to achieve a particular end through communicating speaking. People talk and interact to express their ideas, wishes, or desires. By communication, they may negotiate to solve a particular problem; or establish and maintain social relationships, friendships so on...
Obviously, speaking is an important skill by which the speaker and listener can exchange ideas, express themselves and it is impossible to participate in any part of the speaking process without implying the existence and functioning of its other parts.

Dành riêng cho anh em Ketnooi, bác nào cần download miễn phí bản đầy đủ thì trả lời topic này, Nhóm Mods sẽ gửi tài liệu cho bạn qua hòm tin nhắn nhé.
- Bạn nào có tài liệu gì hay thì up lên đây chia sẻ cùng anh em.
- Ai cần tài liệu gì mà không tìm thấy ở forum, thì đăng yêu cầu down tại đây nhé:
Nhận download tài liệu miễn phí

Các chủ đề có liên quan khác